Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Some Unidentified Damselflies

Though I have had some success with identifying dragonflies, I am still at a loss when it comes to many damselflies. Some I can easily recognize, like the beautiful Ebony Jewelwing, but others so closely resemble each other that I end up leaving most unidentified. Here are two examples.

The first is clearly a spreadwing, one of several species of large damselflies that perch with their wings spread rather than folded over their backs. The best match I have found so far is Slender Spreadwing, though it also resembles others among the ten possible species in the state. I photographed this one at Leonard J. Buck Gardens at the beginning of September.



I am not even sure about where to place the second. It seems most likely one of the bluets, which I find to be one of the hardest odonate genera to separate. I photographed this one in late August at Cape May Point State Park.



If you happen to recognize either of these, feel free to comment. The pictures link to larger versions on Flickr.